Monday, September 16, 2013

K4: Pirates

KINDERGARTEN LESSON PLAN                                                         Week of Sept 16
Read, Mateys, Read!
TEKS:     K19(a)  Students ask questions about topics of class-wide interest  (with adult assistance)
                      K19(b) decide which sources/people can answer questions (with adult assistance)
                      K20(a) gather information from provided sources (with adult assistance)
      K20(b) use pictures in conjunction with writing when documenting research (with adult assistance)

Pacing:  Story Elements                   Rhymes                   Predictions         Read Assorted Literature
   Procedures                         Print Awareness     Book Care

Intent:   Celebrate International Talk Like A Pirate Day (all week!) while learning to combine information from all the stories we hear!

CIRCLE: Welcome Song:  Welcome to the Library             (to the tune of London Bridge)

                Welcome to the library, library, library. 
Welcome to the library, please come inside and read.
                We’re glad to have you here today, here today, here today. 
We’re glad to have you here today; today’s a special day.


Finger Play:   This is Big
  • This is big big big                    Hold arms out to side
  • This is small small small         Cup hands together
  • This is short short short          Hold hands with palms facing each other
  • This is tall tall tall                   Reach one hand above head
  • This is fast fast fast                 Circle fists quickly
  • This is slow slow slow             Circle fists slowly
  • This is yes yes yes                   Nod
  • This is no no no                       Shake head


Set Expectations: Library Expectations (document at) https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3dpaiUKs9aAZ055UGY0QVZ5c28/edit?usp=sharing


                Mystery Box:  What’s inside the mystery box today?  The object inside the box will give us a clue what our story time is going to be about.  (Object this week is toy ship)
                Word of the Week: pirate/pirata (pee-RAH-tah)
                ASL Sign: http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi (Sign language is a real language where people use their hands to communicate.)  Here is the sign for PIRATE.  Take your right hand and cover your eye like an eyepatch.  Pirates wear patches over their eyes: you did it!  That’s it!

Pre-reading: Welcome to the library. Last week you checked out a book for the first time: did everyone return their library books?    Today, we’re going to do three fun things!  First, we are going to have a story time about Pirates and life on the sea.  Then, we’re going to make our own eye patches so we can dress like pirates.  Finally, you will be able to check out a book to take back to class.  Let’s get started.

Story/Resource #1­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­How I Became A Pirate by Melinda Long (Harcourt, 2005)
Reflection:  Students should notice he’s on the “Pirate” soccer team.  Recount story, find “turning point” where he decides he doesn’t want to be a pirate.

Action Rhyme:  Fierce Pirate



I’m a fierce pirate,
(Brandish sword or dagger)

Captain of my ship.
(Stand at attention)

I stride the deck
(Walk in place)

With hand on hip.
(Put hands on hips)

Our big black flag Shows a skull and cross bones.
(Hands over eyes, or look through telescope)

Everybody moans.
(Throw up hands and moan)

Out of the hold Dark and dank,
(Climb ladder with hands)

We bring the captive
(Hands together behind back)

Who walks the plank.
(Walk fingers of one hand off index finger of the other hand)

Without our gold and silver,

Away we go With many a SHOUT
(Cup hands around mouth)

And a YO-HO-HO!
(Say loudly)




Jokes: 
What is a pirate’s favorite school subject?  Arrrrrt

What are pirates afraid of?  The Daaaarghk!
Where do Pirates put their trash?  In the GAAAARRRRRRghbage can!

Everyone knows pirates ride the ocean in boats, but what’s a pirate’s second favorite mode of transportation?  A Caaaaarrrgh!

Where does the pirate put his car when he’s done driving? A PAAARRRGHking lot!


Story/Resource #2:  Pirate Pete’s Talk Like A Pirate Kim Kennedy ( Abrams, 2007)   
Reflection: 
Song:  If You?re A Pirate And You Know It
If you’re a pirate and you know it, swab the deck.
If you’re a pirate and you know it, swab the deck.
If you’re a pirate and you know it and you really want to show it,
If you’re a pirate and you know it, swab the deck.


If you’re a pirate and you know it, draw your sword.
If you’re a pirate and you know it, draw your sword.
If you’re a pirate and you know it and you really want to show it,
If you’re a pirate and you know it, draw your sword.


If you’re a pirate and you know it, say ARRRRRRR!
If you’re a pirate and you know it, say ARRRRRRR!
If you’re a pirate and you know it and you really want to show it,
If you’re a pirate and you know it, say ARRRRRRR!


If you’re a pirate and you know it, do all three. (swab the deck, draw your sword, say AAARR!)
If you’re a pirate and you know it, do all three.
If you’re a pirate and you know it and you really want to show it,
If you’re a pirate and you know it, do all three.



One-Eyed Jake
I’m One-Eyed Jake, the pirate chief
(cover one eye with hand as if covering eye with a patch)
A terrible, fearsome ocean thief
I have a peg upon my leg
(Stand on one leg)
I have a hook and a dirty look
(One arm in the air, curving hand into a hook shape—make exaggerated mean face)
I’m One-Eyed Jake, the pirate chief
A terrible, fearsome ocean thief.

This is a fun one to use cumulatively. Add action after action, until the child is standing balanced on one leg, an eye covered, arm in a hook. They'll giggle as they try to stay upright. It isn't easy for me to do (especially in heels).

Poem:  Buried Treasure by Douglas Florian in Shiver Me Timbers: Pirate Poems and Paintings (2012)

ACTIVITY:  Students make eyepatches with scissors and yarn and a little adult help. http://www.talklikeapirate.com/partykit/eyepatch.pdf

Check out books: students check out books from the tables, practice lining up around the desk and get their book for the week!

Circle:  review word of week, closing song
Open, shut them.
Open, shut them.
Raise your hands up high.
Open, shut them.
Open, shut them.
Wave and say goodbye.




Extras:
(is video link for portside/ starboard pirates)
A Children's Pirate Shanty
by Mark "Cap'n Slappy" Summers 
(can be sung to the tune of Monty Python's "I'm a Lumberjack and I'm OK" - or make up your own! 
Watch the Pirate Guys perform the song on YouTube!)
Chorus
I'm a pirate! That I be!
I sail me ship upon the sea!
I stay up late - till half past three!
And that's a peg below me knee!
Yo Ho, my friends I have a tale
of treasure, plunder, sea and sail
my story's bigger than a whale
it gets so deep, ye'll have to bail.
Chorus
I'm a pirate! That I be!
I sail me ship upon the sea!
I stay up late - till half past three!
And that's a peg below me knee!
I like to fish, I like to fight
I like to stay up half the night
When I say "starboard" ye go right!
Me ma, she says, "Ye look a fright!"
Chorus
I'm a pirate! That I be!
I sail me ship upon the sea!
I stay up late - till half past three!
And that's a peg below me knee!
I've got no hand but that's me hook!
I pillage stuff but I'm no crook.
Me booty's in this chest I took.
They'll write about me in a book!
Chorus
I'm a pirate! That I be!
I sail me ship upon the sea!
I stay up late - till half past three!
And that's a peg below me knee!
And that's all there is to this song.
I hope it hasn't been too long.
A pirate's life might just be wrong
So grow up nice and big and strong!
Chorus
I'm a pirate! That I be!
I sail me ship upon the sea!
I stay up late - till half past three!
And that's a peg below me knee!


No comments:

Post a Comment